The Quick Start Guide
So, you want to play Valheru but don’t know where to start? You’ve come to the right place!
Valheru is a game of adventure and medieval fighting. At first, you’ll start out by killing rabbits, then perhaps graduate to boars and smugglers; but don’t worry, you’ll quickly move on to whacking a dragon or two!
Logging into the game is really quite easy, select your name, race and guild. Before doing this, you will want to decide what race would be best for the type of character you want. We will talk about this a little more later.
The most important part of your character’s development revolves around ability points and which race you choose. The reason for this is simple. You get only 1,960 ability points. This means you can max out (or get 100 base in) only 5 abilities. You can choose to split this up however you wish.
Each level gives you two types of points, ability and practice. Practice points are infinite, ability points are finite (1,960). Practice points allow you to practice things like weapons and skills which vary in each guild.
Lets talk a little more about your character’s development plan.
Race and Ability Points
Each race has it’s own set of pros and cons and each race is better suited to a certain type of character. Here is a chart of what each ability point should cost you for each race available:[Chart Here]
Of course you can make a Groll that has magical powers, but it is important to realize that each ability point comes with a cost and you should know where to get that ability at its lowest cost.
Don’t know what kind of character you want to have? Here are a few questions to ask yourself.
- Do you like to kill things, all kinds of things, good things, bad things? Perhaps a fighter is your style. [Maxing: Strength, Dexterity and Hitpoints]
- Do you like to dabble in the arcane? Does casting spells and being brainy sound like you? You’ll want to create a mage. [Maxing Magic, Brain and Charisma]
- Do you find that the ability to command others as well as cast spells that are influenced by a greater power resonates with you? You may want to be a Diviner. [Maxing Divinity, Brain and Charisma/Dexterity]
Guilds in Valheru are where you can learn your needed skills, abilities, and spells. Every guild has its own benefits and costs associated with membership. As ability points are finite, its important to keep in mind the cheapest place to practice the abilities you would like to max out for your chosen race. Below is a break down of the guilds with the lowest point cost for each ability.
|Where to Practice||Fighter, Paladin||Assassin, Thieves||Barbarian||Druid, Lesser Magician||Necromancer, Sorcerer||Conjurer, Lesser Magician, Sorcerer||Healer, Druid, Necromancer||Assassin, Barbarian|
Listed below are all of the guilds that you can participate if you choose a multiclass character.
|Alchemists of Darkness||Alchemists of Light||Barbarians|
|Hague Druids||Khorsabad Assassins||Magicians of the Lesser Path|
|Midgaard Paladins||Midgaard Sorcerers||Necromancers|
|Udgaard Conjurers||Udgaard Fighter||Udgaard Healer|
Single class Guilds
A single class guild means that, for the duration of your character's life, you will have to remain in one sole guild. At this moment in time, the Udgaard Catalysts guild is the only single class option and is reccommended for only the most experienced of players.
Ok! Now that we've got the hard stuff out of the way...lets kill something!!
Some of the most basic commands you will need to know are listed below with their syntax. It may seem intimidating to those of you who have never played a text-based game but we promise it doesn’t take long and they begin to come naturally!
- N, S, E, W, U, D
- After entering the realm, you will notice that movement is granted by typing north, south, east, west, up or down. You can abbreviate this by typing n, s, e, w, u or d.
- help [item]
- In-game there are help files which can be accessed by typing “help 'item'”. For instance, Help race will return information about races. Help movement will give you information about walking in the game. Help socials will give you a list of in-game emotes that you can perform.
- comm add [comm name]
- This command adds chat channels for you to speak with other characters. The two most commonly added comms are Newbie and Chat (comm add newbie, comm add chat).
- [comm name] #
- Returns a list of players in a specific Comm channel.
- tell [person's name]
- This command sends a chat directly to another player (that player must be online).
- say [message]
- Typing say in front of text will say something aloud to all the players in a room.
- kill [mob] or k [mob]
- This launches an attack on a mob or even another player, if you have signed Book of Blood.
As time goes on, you will find that it will be helpful to make aliases for your repetitive commands. This can be done either in the game or in your mud client. When in the game, you can type “alias kb k beaver”. This will create an alias for the action, kill beaver. The next time you want to kill a beaver, just type kb.
You can do this with all types of commands. Try it out!
Your adventure begins...
Your adventure begins in Village Square, Udgaard. Think of it as Main Street, Valheru. Here you will find 5 of the 15 guilds in the game. This is also where your body materializes after you die.
Valheru has some of the most friendly players in all the realms. Don’t hesitate to ask for help or guidance on character creation once you log in.
Ready to give it a try? If you don't already have a MUD client to run the game on, feel free to use our on-site version here.